For General Inquiries Contact Us At
For Slo-Pitch-Related Emergencies Call
867-444-9430 or 867-445-3103
YELLOWKNIFE SLOPITCH ASSOCIATION HOUSE RULES
The Yellowknife Slopitch Association (YKSA) shall operate under the Slo-Pitch National (SPN) Rules (2023) with the following exceptions, additions, and clarifications:
- Home and Away is to be determined by coin flip during the regular season. Come playoff time, the higher seed will have the choice to be Home or Away.
- All games will commence no later than ten (10) minutes after the scheduled start time. Failure to do so will result in a forfeit for the offending team(s) with a score of 99-0 (so defaults can be tracked).
- Any games forfeited by a team, a minimum, three (3) hours prior to the schedule start time shall record the game as a 77-0.
- The minimum number of players to constitute a team for all games is nine (9) players. If an injury or other reason causes a team to have less than nine (9) eligible players remaining, that team shall forfeit the game by a score of 77-0. If a team commences a game with nine (9) players, a tenth (10) player can be added to the lineup at any point.
- Teams may choose to field a minimum of three (3) males / females at a time and a maximum of six (6) males / females at a time. Acceptable field formations include: three (3) males and six (6) females = nine (9), four (4) males and five (5) females = nine (9), four (4) males and six (6) females = ten (10), five (5) males and four (4) females = nine (9), five (5) males and five (5) females = ten (10), six (6) males and three (3) females = nine (9) and six (6) males and four (4) females = ten (10).
- NEW: For the purposes of the YKSA 2023 coed ball season, at the beginning of the ball year players must choose, as part of their SPN profile, which sex they more closely identify with "male" or "female" for the duration of the season.
- REVISED: In all formats the order of batting must always alternate between female and male.
- NEW: SPN “Rule 7 – Batting Sec. 1 B – All batters will begin their turn at bat with a one (1) ball one (1) strike count.” DOES NOT APPLY. All batters will begin their turn at bat with a 0 ball 0 strike count.
- NEW: SPN “Rule 7 – Batting Sec. 10 C – Home Run Rule: When the umpire declares a Home Run or Four Base Award, the batter proceeds directly to the team bench. All on base runners also proceed directly to their bench. All runs are added to the team score.” DOES NOT APPLY. All batter/base runners will be required to touch each base in the correct order. This would be an appeal play should a base be missed by a base runner.
- NEW: SPN "Rule 12 - Coed Program - Sec. 2 B - Ball Used For Play: In a big ball small ball event, the males will only hit the 12" ball and the females will only hit the 11" ball. EFFECT: If a batter hits the wrong ball, the offensive team has the option of taking the result of the play or having the batter go back up to bat and assume the previous count prior to the hit and the correct ball will be substituted.
- A game shall be called on account of the mercy rule, if the home team is ahead by fifteen (15) runs or more after four and a half (4 1/2) complete innings, or if the visiting team is ahead by fifteen (15) runs or more after five (5) complete innings.
- No teams shall start another inning ten (10) minutes or less before the end of your scheduled time.
- The captain of the winning team is responsible to enter the score for both teams into Team Snap following each game so the standings can be adjusted automatically. If teams believe the results of a game have been entered incorrectly, they should first contact the other captain to correct the information, and then get in touch with the Executive if unsuccessful.
- All regularly scheduled games must be played unless weather or unsafe playing conditions do not permit it. Cancellation of regularly scheduled games due to weather or unsafe playing conditions will be announced by the League at 3pm on weekdays and 9 am on Sundays, on the game day through an announcement on Facebook and this website. These cancelled games will not be rescheduled due limited field availability during the 2023 season.
- If there is inclement weather or field conditions become unsafe for game play after 3pm on weekdays or 9am on Sundays then it will be the responsibility of both teams to make the determination to cancel at game time. If, during the game, the umpire decides that the game is unplayable due to weather or field conditions and four (4) innings have been completed, the game will be considered final and the umpire must notify the league immediately.
- No games will be rescheduled during the 2023 season due to limited field availability.
- Games cancelled by teams will not be rescheduled and the team that initiates the cancellation of the game will receive the loss (77-0). If neither team lets the league know that a game has been cancelled, then the game will result in a tie. Teams that do not cancel their games a minimum of three (3) hours prior to scheduled start time, by notifying their opponents and the league, will also be subject to a fine of $50 from their performance bond. Once the fourth (4th) inning has been completed, the game shall be deemed official.
- Walk rule: If a female batter receives four (4) balls on any number of pitches, she is awarded first base. If a male batter is walked on four (4) straight pitches he is awarded second base. In the event the preceding male batter is awarded second (2nd) base, the following male or female batter is not automatically awarded first (1st) base.
- No alcoholic beverages are allowed on the field or in the stands/grounds area. Alcohol is only allowed in the designated area of a licensed beer garden.
- There is no smoking allowed on the field at any time.
- Players can only be registered and play on one (1) SPN – YKSA League team roster for playoffs. If a player is registered for multiple teams they will be removed from ALL rosters and ineligible to play in YKSA playoffs. If a player is not on the SPN roster they are not eligible to play in playoffs.
- During regular season play, players may play one (1) division up or (1) division down from the division they are registered in.
- During playoff games, a team may pick up a max of three (3) additional players for the duration of playoffs. The player’s team must have been eliminated from playoffs, and the player shall be from the same division, one (1) division up, or one (1) division down from that SPN – YKSA League team which they are registered. THESE PLAYERS MUST BE DISCLOSED TO YKSA EXECUTIVE BY EMAIL (email@example.com) AT LEAST ONE (1) HOUR PRIOR TO START OF GAME PLAY.
- During playoff games teams have until the start of the fourth (4th) inning to challenge the oppositions roster.
- Rosters are due at the beginning of each season. These are needed to determine the number of teams submitted to SPN for insurance purposes. Rosters may be updated throughout the season, but become locked one (1) day before playoffs (in 2023 – as of August 18 at 11:59 pm).
- When preparing playoff schedules, certified umpires will be given priority.
- Any female who is pregnant and chooses to play, umpire, coach or manage, does so at their own risk.
- YKSA obtains League and Player insurance through SPN. Subsequently ALL YKSA PLAYERS are required to be registered as a Player and on a YKSA Team Roster in the current years YKSA League on the SPN website. No individual shall be authorized to play in a YKSA League Sanctioned game or event unless appropriately SPN registered.
- YKSA utilizes Team Snap for the purposes of game schedules and final game scores.
- A default fee deposit (totaling $150) shall be collected by the YKSA. It is up to a team to request any default fees to be returned if the team is no longer playing in the YKSA. The team has one (1) season to email: firstname.lastname@example.org and request the return of fees following their last game played or risk forfeiture.
- All teams are required to complete five (5) hours of YKSA volunteer work during the season. If a team does not complete all five (5) hours they will be fined $25 per incomplete hour. This fine will be removed from the teams default fee deposit.